1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

10 Week Old Pineapple Conure Chick - Diet Advice!

Discussion in 'Food And Diet' started by Ross, Mar 6, 2018.

1. Ross

Ross Regular Member Registered

Hi all,

We are picking up our new conure chick next week. The breeder will be giving us his recommendations for diet, and what the chick is currently eating so that we can offer continuity in the short term.

However, I would love any advice moving forward on best practice for seed, fruit and vegetables for our new family member!

One person has already recommended AS30 seed mix.

Any advice gratefully received as we are very, very new to this!

Many thanks in advance,

JessCheekyMia likes this.
  2. JessCheekyMia

JessCheekyMia Regular Member

dianaT likes this.
  3. TomsMum

TomsMum Administrator Staff Member Admin

Depends if your small conure takes a liking to all the components in the mix...you may have to break up the nuts in AS30 for a small conure.

I use Delinature 61 and 64, and add nuts accordingly, as I buy human grade nuts in the small packs from supermarket, so I know nuts are always fresh.

I don’t have a hang up about sunflower, especially not for busy birds like conures, as long as the mix is good quality as Delinature is. safflower has just as high a fat content, it’s the storage and weevil and aspergillus issue with sunflower that is the big issue, and a good mix, stored well, should’t be a problem - it’s more the black sunflower based sacks from Some pet stores where the issue lies.

You could also look at Tidymix Parrot Diet, that’s a good base seed mix, that you can always add bits and bobs to.

Buy small quantities to start with, then you can work out what things are going down well.

You might also like to try out the small parakeet sized Nutriberries
    Stinkie and JessCheekyMia like this.
  4. TomsMum

Meant to say also...check what the breeder has been feeding, as you may need some of whatever that is, to make the transition over to the diet you wish to feed.
    Michael Reynolds likes this.
  5. Stinkie

Stinkie Moderator Staff Member Moderator

I also don't mind feeding a reasonable amount of sunflower seeds, but based on the absolutely huge amount, and the fact that my conure only eats about 20% of the whole mix (aka only the few bits she likes) I would personally advise against Tidymix.

The Deli Nature 61 is much better. She seems to like Nutriberries too, but she eats - or rather shreds - the balls on the water bowl and a lot of the food ends up at the bottom of it. She also eats plenty of Harrison's fine pellets and all sorts of veggies and fruit. She's not a picky eater.

Look forward to pictures :)
    TomsMum likes this.
  6. Michael Reynolds

Michael Reynolds Regular Member

As toms mum has said check what the breeder is feeding and let the bird settle then slowly mix a more suitable feed. I like Johson & Jeffs lean and fit mix as a dry diet and you may find a young bird not wanting to try veg and fruit but still give some as they are like any child and rather eat the things that are not as healthy
  7. Ross

Hi all, thanks for the replies!

Yep, as I put in my original post I'll definitely be feeding what the breeder is feeding to start with so there is continuity of diet before we start changing things.

Once I know what that is, I'll post it here!

Thanks again :)
    Michael Reynolds and dianaT like this.
  8. Ross

Hi all, we now have our Conure :emoji_blush:

He (we are presuming it is a he!) is called Kiwi, and we collected him late yesterday afternoon.

Breeder has sent us off with a large bag of unbranded parrakeet mix, it seems to be quite heavy with sunflower seeds which I don't think is the best.

So, after a little research and help from you guys above, we're going to get some Deli Nature 61 and some Harrisons High Potency Fine pellets.

He seems to love apples, and we'll be trying all different sorts of fruit and veg as we go.

Any other tips?

JessCheekyMia and dianaT like this.
  9. TomsMum

Sounds like a good plan! Yes just keep trying all different sorts of fruit and veg and never give up on feeding a good balance even though he may be a bit picky to start with. Thawed frozen peas and sweet corn kernels are easy to offer, and I always have a bag of frozen blueberries in the freezer, as they keep well and seem to be enjoyed. I prepare a mango into small pieces too and open freeze then bag up.

Sugar snap,peas in their pods are a favourite here.

In the food and diet section there are some pinned topics at the top, which have details of all the sorts of things you can give and those to avoid. Also a link about “chop” and about sprouting.

Potato must be cooked (sweet potato can be raw or cooked) and ensure no green parts of tomato plant are give. (And avoid tomato too often as a bit acidic), no avocado, no rhubarb, no onion, no mushrooms.
    dianaT likes this.
  10. dianaT

dianaT Moderator Staff Member Moderator

:aaaaa:Welcome to Kiwi, can we have a photo please :biggrin: Shall look forward to updates.
    Ross likes this.
  11. Ross

Here he is!

JessCheekyMia, TomsMum and dianaT like this.
  12. Ross

He seems to be tucking into his fruit!

Has so far enjoyed apple, banana, blueberry and half a grape.

Also seems to like a NutriBerry!
  13. dianaT

dianaT Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Wow that is one beautiful bird.
    Ross likes this.
  14. Ross

Thanks Diana, he's a real cutie :emoji_blush:
  15. TomsMum

Wow what great colours in his feathers :biggrin:
    Ross likes this.
  16. Stinkie

Wow what a beautiful bird. Did you by any chance get it from a lady called Audrey? He looks like a yellow sided rather than a pineapple, but the light beak colour is very confusing to me :emoji_heart_eyes::emoji_heart_eyes::emoji_heart_eyes:

Please remember you can only feed the High Potency pellets up to 6 months, you must switch to the Adult Lifetime ones after that :)

Congratulations on your new little friend!
    TomsMum and Ross like this.
  17. Ross

Thanks, Stinkie!

He's actually a Yellow Sided cross Pineapple! No, didn't get him from a lady called Audrey...

Yes, thanks for the pointer on the pellets, I had read that on the Harrisons website.
  18. Stinkie

Ahh, I wondered because the conures she sells also have a lot of red. Well, enjoy your birdie and keep us updated!
  19. marley

marley Regular Member

One thing a lot of new keepers and indeed old keepers do is to offer too much seed mix at a time, he will only need a couple of egg cups worth of seed in his pot otherwise it allows them to pick all the "best bits" and leave the rest. Think of it like giving a child a load of chicken nuggets on the plate and then wondering why they won't eat the broccoli.
    JessCheekyMia and Ross like this.
  20. Ross

Thanks Marley, I'll bear that in mind!

Should I mix the Deli Nature 61 with the Harrisons Fine pellets? And just offer a fresh portion of it once a day?