Diet for Alexandrine and IRN

serena1487

Registered
I have asked a similar question about my alexandrine, and I tried to feed him thoroughly cooked meat and a couple of vegies such as carrots and tomatoes, but he would bit them and throw them down (this little guy would bit off and throw things down if he doesn't like them
). The only things he would eat are rice plants and corn. As for the little IRN, she does eat the store bought food at the shop, but she wouldn't eat the one at home, probably because it's not the same type. She too, would eat corn and the rice plant, especially the latter. We haven't tried to feed her other vegies because she would flap her wings and run around whenever someone comes near her, which leads to Charlie getting annoyed and making his angry sound. I can understand that since she's still new. If I can get her to calm down near people, I want to know what kind of food I can feed her and also for the Alexandrine. It seems that my Alexandrine dislikes meat, although I'm not quite sure for the IRN.

Why would you want to feed your bird meat?
They are omnivorous but it's insects not meat but those are just occasional snacks. They eat fruits, vegetables, grains, flowers.... In fact there's a huge range of things they eat naturally. Read these threads they should help you. When introducing new foods sometimes birds bred in captivity or reared by humans don't recognise it as food so sometimes you eating and sharing is the easiest way to introduce things.

Why would you want to feed your bird meat?
They are omnivorous but it's insects not meat but those are just occasional snacks. They eat fruits, vegetables, grains, flowers.... In fact there's a huge range of things they eat naturally. Read these threads they should help you. When introducing new foods sometimes birds bred in captivity or reared by humans don't recognise it as food so sometimes you eating and sharing is the easiest way to introduce things.

I see thank u. I found a website that said u should feed meat sometimes so I was wondering.
Alexandrine parrots should get a small amount of meat for protein. Chicken, beef, lamb, liver, turkey and fish are good choices. Give them meats you eat, as long as it is thoroughly cooked. Salmon and tuna are best canned and water-packed. Although parrots are lactose-intolerant, a small amount of dairy adds calcium to their nutrition. Cook cheese with pasta or other food. A small amount of yogurt is good, but Alexandrine parrots should never have milk.

Last edited:
It’s very easy to get taken in and believe what you read on a website, it’s best to stick with fruit veg and seed and some supplements to keep a parrot healthy. I have never seen a parrot in the wild with a salmon or cheese sandwich hanging out it’s beak. I know a few people who feed a small amount of cooked chicken but again can’t say I have seen a parrot eating a chicken in the wild, they might eat the odd bug.

Last edited:
If I may just tell what my Ringneck Vert has (she seems to love it too)
- Broccoli
- Califlower
- Carrot
- Runner beans or peas
- Sweetcorn
- Cheap parrot seed mix from Wilko
- Often a seasonal fruit from the garden

Treat wise, apple, pear (newly found out she really loves fresh pears), pumpkin and pistachio (Roasted but not salted)

Parrots can be opportunists in the wild and pick at small dead animals and birds they find, some species will even eat insects when taking food for there young, One of my ringnecks i had called Beryl used to disturb ants nests and eat them whilst in my garden, they will grab an opportunity to get the calcium from bones.(this is why a lot of keepers give there birds the leg bone of a chicken to chew_ but meat is very rich and birds kept captive would not have the chance of burning the fats and energy that they will need to do stay healthy,

Back
Top Bottom