best way to get a new bird clean

worrierqueenie

Registered
Piper the caique has been here 5 days and is eating everything he's been given so far except red pepper:) He now has a slightly sticky beak & the feathers around it also look a bit grubby. He hasn't tried to dunk his face in the water bowl or try to clean as far as I've seen.
So would it be worth trying to gently spray him or should I wait for a bit longer, giving him more time to settle and not worry so much:D
Also what is the best way to encourage him to think about a bath or shower of some kind?

If spraying use fine mist spray up into the air above the bird not at the bird. Upwards so it falls simulates rain if bird moves away then stop. Spraying at a bird unfortunately lots of people try this as a punishment which is stupid and pointless and promotes fear of the human birds don't connect the dots like humans do.

If he wants a bathe he'll bathe by himself, and if you spray him he'll be noticably happy if he likes it, just stop if you notice sigyhns of fear and don't force him
thank you.
Do you use a pump spray or one that's continous?
If spraying use fine mist spray up into the air above the bird not at the bird. Upwards so it falls simulates rain if bird moves away then stop. Spraying at a bird unfortunately lots of people try this as a punishment which is stupid and pointless and promotes fear of the human birds don't connect the dots like humans do.
thank you. What a silly thing to do.

to be honest is a good thing to teach them, it can be a great game and we found our old grey loved it and would just go mad, but it did take a while for him to take to it.

we done it weekly, first with just a very fine spray and hid the noise with music, then in the end it was 2 x 1 litre bottles and a carpet vat to soak up the mess :risas3:

Also as I was told here, for some reason a hoover going/on at the same time seems to promote bathing or cleaning and it worked 8/10 times with ours.

Nearly all my flock wants a bath when the vacuum cleaner is running, I have always made bath time a fun thing, I would never use water as a punishment or to stop a bird from doing something I did not like for example chewing in places you do not want them too or screaming ect. some like the fine spray but others do not mind a stronger jet. many birds may try to get away from the spray at first but as they get more wet they will normally love the water hitting them and even when soaked will want more. I normally end up just as wet as my birds. I use a pump sprayer and try to get the water to room temperature. I have four birds that detest the spray so before hovering I provide a large bowl in there cages.

@Scott199 Had to laugh, Dusky the grey did not like sprays or baths of any kind, it has taken 5 years to sort him, 5 years. He will now stand for a short while for a spray, He was 18 when he came to me.

Unfortunately George the P. Amazon hates them, he now, after 4 years, just stands there with a big sulk on his face, hates then but needs them. He must be in his 30's. I suppose the older they are the harder they are to encourage

@Scott199 Had to laugh, Dusky the grey did not like sprays or baths of any kind, it has taken 5 years to sort him, 5 years. He will now stand for a short while for a spray, He was 18 when he came to me.

Unfortunately George the P. Amazon hates them, he now, after 4 years, just stands there with a big sulk on his face, hates then but needs them. He must be in his 30's. I suppose the older they are the harder they are to encourage

This made me chuckle, my parrotlet loves her bath and she will bask under the water for ages, she flaunts herself as if to say look at me getting a bath!

Bo on the other hand has enjoyed approx 5 baths in the last 20 months ive owned the monster. He knows bath=treat so he stands there and after a few minutes will say ‘treat now’ 😂
Every now and again he will fluff up and enjoy it for a split second then remember he has let guard down and returns to moody ‘im doing this for a treat’ bird ha!

Sometimes i will say you can’t be a stinky boy, so now he randomly says ‘mum off for a bath, don’t be stinky’ which is lovely..... especially when we have company 🤦🏼‍♀️😂

This made me chuckle, my parrotlet loves her bath and she will bask under the water for ages, she flaunts herself as if to say look at me getting a bath!

Bo on the other hand has enjoyed approx 5 baths in the last 20 months ive owned the monster. He knows bath=treat so he stands there and after a few minutes will say ‘treat now’ 😂
Every now and again he will fluff up and enjoy it for a split second then remember he has let guard down and returns to moody ‘im doing this for a treat’ bird ha!

Sometimes i will say you can’t be a stinky boy, so now he randomly says ‘mum off for a bath, don’t be stinky’ which is lovely..... especially when we have company 🤦🏼‍♀️😂
yes Bert hated it to start with but with enough encouragement and playful noise he then started to enjoy it.

Jardine Jessie is a messy eater, like many others ;) I wet my fingers under a running tap and wipe her beak clean - she seems to enjoy the attention. It is easier to clean it before it dries, or before she wipes it on the furniture! She likes a beak rub and wiping it is little more than that really.

Jardine Jessie is a messy eater, like many others ;) I wet my fingers under a running tap and wipe her beak clean - she seems to enjoy the attention. It is easier to clean it before it dries, or before she wipes it on the furniture! She likes a beak rub and wiping it is little more than that really.
Dora doesn't like a messy beak and will usually wipe it in the table or my jeans, but often lets me help clean her beak - she likes a beak rub too - l can never get over the gentle way she acts when she wants to when my fingers are just millimeters from that lethal weapon.

Back
Top Bottom