Keeping Alexandrines and Derbyans outdoors

Sid

Registered
Hi
I'm a new member. I seek advice on whether I can safely keep adult Alexandrines and Derbyans outdoors all year round? Im in South London/Surrey. I can acclimatise them and have been keeping them outside during the day over summer. I can also draught proof their cage outside. I have read they come from colder areas in their natural range ie Himalayan foothills where snow can fall.
Best
Sid

Your birds should be fine as long as they are in around room temperature about 65 faranheit and no big birds can get to them

keeping them outside will normally be fine but they must have a warm place they can hide in, not all captive breed birds will adapt to our weather so much will depend on how long its parents and there parents have been in captivity, climatizing a bird will mean getting the birds out in the aviary well before winter providing area away from wind and rain. the danger will be the oncoming of frost. so an extra eye must be kept on them to make sure they are safe.

Thanks. I would like to know if possible if these are routinely kept outdoors in the UK. Hopefully there are folk on this forum who do. It gets well below 65F in winter here. Nights can be below freezing in London in winter.

:welcome: How old are they and have they lived their whole lives indoors, also is there a reason you wish them to live outside. They will need a large secure aviary with a safety porch and additional fixed shed area for them to go to . If you want to place them outside over winter in their cage my opinion is definitely no.

Back
Top Bottom