HI EVERYONE, I AM NEW TO ALL THIS

I find ours will only take large pieces of stuff he likes, put anything in his bowl he’s not keen on and he will avoid the bowl like it’s a lifelong enemy.

also he takes bigger pieces better from hand, even stuff he likes in his bowl has to be hand fed (hold the bowl for him)

If it’s chopped or cut up he won’t touch it even if it’s his favourite.

Dora can and will eat from her bowl if she is a) on her own and bored, b) bring looked after by my husband c) it is a bowl of seeds. However as a true parrot slave l find myself having her perch on my hand while she delves into a bowl or her preference is to be handed tasty morsels. She wont eat chopped up food at all, and will only eat pellets at the very end of the day!

Hello!

I have a grey who is just over one and we had him since he was 5 months old, he came to us on a seeded diet and only liked a little bit of apple. He now is fed harrisons pellets and various fruit and veg.

I have settled him into a routine and worked on this since day one, i wake both birds up and clean the bottom of their cages whilst they have their morning stretch on their stand.
I then take our grey into the kitchen with me to prepare fruit and veg, he enjoys watching me make his breakfast and often taste tests which got him used to the textures and tastes, he throws food everywhere but i don't mind the cleaning up haha. When we return to the room i make a big fuss over breakfast time which gets Bo excited to eat, i feed him inside his cage because if he is out of his cage he doesn't want to eats and wants to play.

I give him his fruit and veggies as his first meal and he does eat them, some days he eats more than others. Some days he loves his pellets and only eats bits of his fruit and veggies but im happy when he eats any amount.
I also feed him on harrisons pellets and he really enjoys these!

As for how they are cut, some days he loves his fruit and veg chunky and some days he loves them cut smaller. If i cut them too big when in the kitchen he throws them from his bowl which is a good indicator of how he wants his fruit and veg.

I know all birds are very different but this helped getting our grey onto fruit and veg, i also have realised how much of a parrot slave I am that i will wait for him to show me if he wants fruit and veg cut small or big 🤦🏼‍♀️😁

Hi guys , my parrot is now eating all that i give her but the mess is out of this world, its everywhere, i feed her in the kitchen on the owrk top looking out of the window, but then there,s the mess haha! Anyway what iwanted to ask is if anyone has got any advice on bathing the bird as she absolutley hates water, when i sprinkle her she goes nuts with screaming and sqwarking and had a right old tantrum, ive even tried spraying her but thats just the same. Will it affect the bird if i dont bathe her?

Also i am in the process of toilet training her she did it at one time and flew to her training pad and did her business then flew back to me but that was a one off I cant get her to do it again i now take her to her pad and she does it but also she still does it around the floor and worktops etc????

Also i am in the process of toilet training her she did it at one time and flew to her training pad and did her business then flew back to me but that was a one off I cant get her to do it again i now take her to her pad and she does it but also she still does it around the floor and worktops etc????
Most of the time Dora has us trained to take her to a suitable perch 😆, she gives a funny little ha ha ha squeak which means she needs a poo.

Hi any advice on my earlier post as to why my parrot will not go anywhere near water? Will it affect her if I cant get to either bathe her or even spray her? She screams the place down if I mist her!

I wouldn't worry too much, she may prefer a light misting from a spray just a couple of squirts from overhead that will suffice, also maybe in due course she will bathe in her water dish, but I wouldn't go scaring her just let it be, she may surprise you one day and decides she actually likes it. One of my Senegals dislikes being sprayed so I rarely do it but he will have a dip in his water dish when he feels like it.

I have two cockatoo's and they don't care for spraying much either, I only do it if I think they need some help with pin feathers, softening the sheaths. You could try running the vacuum cleaner as my other will take a dip at this time. If absolutely necessary you can try turning your back and lightly misting over your shoulder. If still not liked there is no point in losing trust over it.

Hi guys , not been here for a while due to losing both my parents within a week if each other.
Anyway my African grey parrot is now 7mths old , very alert and talking, and very funny but she is now biting me , she doesn't bite my partner she's all over him but if I'm on my own she doesn't bite me but as soon as my partner is there and I try to put her back in her cage or move her to her perch she growls and then bites me,,, also, she poops everywhere even though we have trained her but now that's fine out the window and she does it every where,
Any advice or suggestions cos the biting gets to me and I don't know what to do.

Hi lovely to see you back again
Really sorry for your loss must be devastating huge hugs to you.
Sounds like your little one has decided she has a favorite person.
Time to perhaps weight it the other way ..... only you give the treats your partner doesn't get to :naughty2:
Time to do some training as well as they start to grow up they do tend to try and push the boundaries rather like a human child does.
There are some great training threads in the training folder done by Roz that will be of assistance.
@Roz

Hello! Sorry to hear about your parents 🙁

I had the same with our parrotlet, she has fully bonded to my boyfriend and would often bite me when he was in the room with us. If the boyfriend was not around she would love me!

Me and my boyfriend decided to let me do the more fun stuff, so to speak. I’m in charge of feeding her and she will come do breakfast with me on alternative days from our other bird. I have started to train her again to come to me and even though we aren’t fully there yet, we have got much better. It has taken months but the other night she flew to me for a cuddle when we were both sat next to one another.

I really don’t mind that she prefers my boyfriend, i just didn’t want to be attacked whenever i was in the same room as him, although small her bites back a punch! 😂

I feed her, give her some treats, show her all her new toys and i involve her in stuff such as getting ready with me for work etc. She still loves him more and would pick him over me any day but, she doesn’t think im too bad now and let’s me tickle her when the boyfriend isn’t looking haha!

Sorry I'm late. So sorry about your parents, @kenoshitzu That's really tough. :(

Sounds like you are having the same trouble as Lauraj in that maybe she is bonding with your partner rather than you. Love both DizzyBlue's and Laura's advice.

Try to do everything you can to avoid the bite. If your partner is in the room, get them to put her in her cage, move her etc. Don't do anything which you know will result in a bite because the more she bites you the more she is learning to bite. No interaction or interaction from afar is way better than getting bitten.

That said, take advantage when your partner isn't in the room/home to build your own special relationship with your Grey. That's the time to offer her treats and do your training with her, etc. If you can do this, your Grey will start to associate you with good experiences and will look forward to interacting with you.

Hi guys, not been here for a while dye to handling the estate of my late parents, but my Africa grey ( bobbin) us doing extremely well, she's almost a year old had never stops talking, she's picked up almost everything we say and has a very good vocabulary, very funny but she screeches and screens do loud it's deafening lol, can't seem to stop her doing this, will she grow out if it?
She also tries to compete with the TV and gets so loud we have to put her in and cover her cage, that's the only way we can watch anything lol , but the shouting and screaming I can't cope with,, any suggestions, ??

Hi good to have you back after what must have been a very sad time.
Maybe @Roz can advise re the screaming.....or indeed any members.

Back
Top Bottom