Fussy African Grey

I wish this boiled/steamed idea would work for us, in essence anything soft or mushy is an instant “NO WAY”

bert won’t touch anything that’s squishy or makes his beak a mess, except grapes then he spends about 5 minutes cleaning his beak 🙄

lol funny little chaps

I have the opposite problem, the messier the better and mine shout at me if I don't share! Though one of mine just likes to suck the juice out the grapes and wipe the skin on me, beats throwing it on the floor i suppose 🤣🤣🤣
Granted if you give them something they don't want it gets flung back at you, or they pick it up whilst maintaining eye contact and drop it onto the floor 🤣🤣🤣

Lol sounds like my birds. Kids in a sweet shop lol
Another really good idea if you do decide to go down the route of weaning via the boiled veg method is too . Bake your chicken egg shells at 160c for 20 mins, grind it to a dust then sprinkle it on top. Really good for them and mine absolutely love it . Cheap and really good source of calcium too . Winner winner chicken dinner lol

Oh really. Nearly every bird keeper I kno knos about baking egg shells. Stick to sucking eggs if that’s what your into 🤭

Just opened this thread and I will be monitoring it.

Personally I also feed egg shells by baking them and when I make my flock scramble eggs.... In go the egg shells too. There's lots to be gained from the shell and baking them ensures if you have a salmonella infected egg your not passing it on to the birds especially as not everyone ensures their chickens are salmonella clear.

I agree more. That’s why baking is recommended 🤜🏼
we wouldn’t eat raw chicken so don’t risk feeding birds raw chicken egg shells as they too would catch salmonella

As for broccoli...... It's the plant of the devil orrible stinky stuff...but as my birds love it I prepare it outside dash inside give everyone their broccoli and I leave the house for two hours! There after I dash back in grab the bowls at breakneck speed and open all windows before I throw up!

im Sure birds would say the same if they tasted chip shop chips . Which I would never recommend either 😊

Some of my birds before they came to live with me were allowed let's just say less than healthy food so instead of denying I adapted to fooling.... Chip shop chips out the window parrot friendly sweet potato ones in place of. Crisps changed to healthy sliced veggie ones grilled to a frazzle and put in an old crisp packet.
Tea changed to fruit tea or organic caffeine free
The ones I have had since they were babies don't have the addictions the others do they naturally eat healthy.... Although the obsession with changing the colour of my curtains by wiping blueberry stained beaks on or crushing pomegranate into it for a laugh does wear thin at times :pilot:

Hahah excellent my greater hill mynah I chose to rehome to a very good friend of mine use to be excellent at regurgitateing his berry’s for me and politely leaving me the mess to clean up in unexpected places lol.

I used to have a hill mynah years ago and weirdly Bob also had one, you don't see them very often these days for some reason

Ah cool. Yeah they are very hard to breed not only there clutches are small. But they get very startled quickly when rearing their own. My friend has had it before where the parents would remove the young from the nest and even in some cases eat their young ! 😒

yeah seen that happen too .... we're getting off topic now though so back to helping birdies to eat healthy :)

Dora will only eat chickpeas and peas cooked, everything else she will ignore if cooked (except pasta and boiled egg). Like @Tonifrax I tend to try her with little pieces of whatever veg I am chopping up for our meal and that works so she gets a varied diet of veg (sprouts are her favourite). I soak / sprout seeds only a teaspoonful at a time as she will often turn her beak up at them after the first chomp. As far as pellets go - maybe a single Harrisons Lifetime Coarse if it is straight out of the freezer, the Harrisons spicy ones dont cut it at all, and she will reserve her Topps pellets until last thing before she goes to bed, followed by a piece of white grape.

If that were Jessie, I would not be able to resist stepping in as soon as she moves away from the bowl and cleaning her beak before she has a chance to wipe it on the furniture :D She wriggles around a bit, but she actually likes it.

Back
Top Bottom