Fussy African Grey

I'm saying nowt as it will only incriminate me as being wrapped well and truly around a parrot or 5's little toe
I still offer what they don't like and give me the evil eye over but I do give in at times and will also travel to several different shops to obtain a certain item that they do love....
I have sucker stamped on my forehead :rolleyes:
another "Snap" :aplastao:

A good method to try is to boil his preferred veg ( warm potatoes ) some very small branches of brocollie and butter nut squash - all boiled! Give this to him every morning ( but not a lot - you kno your bird better than anybody me else) Then for the afternoon/ evening give him a SMALL handful of seed . Preferably without the sunflowers the idea is when he wakes in the morning your getting him used to a warm but healthy varied diet with very little easy eat food ( seed ) for the rest of the evening . so he looks forward to the morning breakfast !! repeat this every day for a week I’m 99% sure he will wean to a more lean diet which you can chop and change 👍🏻 Hope this is useful for you

Thats pretty much what ive been doing. Ive tried raw veg. Ive tried steamed veg as it loses less nutrients than boiling. Ive tried it warm, cold, grated, diced small, chunks. Sometimes he eats it all and sometimes he doesnt touch it. He ate chunks of steamed squash this morning... eventually, and raw broccoli but he will only eat large stalks of it and wont touch if its been cut small. Hes just really fussy. Even if its mixed with something he likes he just picks out what he likes and throws everything else out 🤣

Sounds like he’s definitely wearing the shoes lol. Try little portions to much choice is giving the option to get full on only what he wants to eat . Talking from experience. It’s not easy but you have to work with him and don’t worry about thinking he’s not getting enough . He will let you kno by being very vocal and mischievous if he wasn’t happy 👍🏻 Also have you tried Harrison’s pellets - I highly recommend it if you haven’t already

Thats pretty much what ive been doing. Ive tried raw veg. Ive tried steamed veg as it loses less nutrients than boiling. Ive tried it warm, cold, grated, diced small, chunks. Sometimes he eats it all and sometimes he doesnt touch it. He ate chunks of steamed squash this morning... eventually, and raw broccoli but he will only eat large stalks of it and wont touch if its been cut small. Hes just really fussy. Even if its mixed with something he likes he just picks out what he likes and throws everything else out 🤣
That is pretty common hun, lots of waste here too! Make smaller portions if that helps?

Sorry @Reayath why boil veggies, the idea is to keep the nutrition in, unless they drink the water too? Try lightly steaming hun instead. TOP's pellets are a better organic option if your parrot will eat them!

You would think i tried to poison Bo by his reaction if i dare feed him warm veggies 😂
Saying that im the one who's the fool making sure his bits of carrot are a different shape from yesterday because how can that parrot be expected to eat the same shaped food?🤦🏼‍♀️

I'm saying nowt as it will only incriminate me as being wrapped well and truly around a parrot or 5's little toe
I still offer what they don't like and give me the evil eye over but I do give in at times and will also travel to several different shops to obtain a certain item that they do love....
I have sucker stamped on my forehead :rolleyes:
Me too

@plumsmum boiling the veg first to wean on to raw veg is ideal as it’s more appetising for them being both warm and not so dry - personal experience -

Yeah I completely agree but weaning all my birds to raw veg this was the only way that worked for me . Worth a go if all else fails 😉

You would think i tried to poison Bo by his reaction if i dare feed him warm veggies 😂
Saying that im the one who's the fool making sure his bits of carrot are a different shape from yesterday because how can that parrot be expected to eat the same shaped food?🤦🏼‍♀️
Ollie ate all his steamed squash this morning eventually after kicking up a fuss for a little while. He just seems to like playing with his food first 😂 i cut in different shapes or grate it... OR ANYTHING TO GET HIM TO EAT IT!!!! 😂😂😂 but he was eventually a good boy and ate the lot. Hes just stubborn until he doesnt get his way 😂

And if you take even ALL the nutrition out at least it’s only for the week or 2 max till you have successfully weaned your feathered friend to a lean raw veg and seed sprout diet right ?👍🏻

I wish this boiled/steamed idea would work for us, in essence anything soft or mushy is an instant “NO WAY”

bert won’t touch anything that’s squishy or makes his beak a mess, except grapes then he spends about 5 minutes cleaning his beak 🙄

lol funny little chaps

I wish this boiled/steamed idea would work for us, in essence anything soft or mushy is an instant “NO WAY”

bert won’t touch anything that’s squishy or makes his beak a mess, except grapes then he spends about 5 minutes cleaning his beak 🙄

lol funny little chaps
When I have always weaned mine mate. I’ve done boiled but not Sunday mash boiled lol try a little less than full boiled you will get good results. Also. Highly recommended pellet if you find your little fella is lacking vitimans is Harrison’s pellet .. REALLY REALLY good 👍🏻

When I have always weaned mine mate. I’ve done boiled but not Sunday mash boiled lol try a little less than full boiled you will get good results. Also. Highly recommended pellet if you find your little fella is lacking vitimans is Harrison’s pellet .. REALLY REALLY good 👍🏻
I’m quite lucky as Bert loves Harrison’s, I think he’d sit quietly and eat the whole bag if he had chance.

im willing to give it a go, I’m happy to try any and all options.

Back
Top Bottom