Cage for an orange winged amazon

Zoe220615

Hi everyone so im going to be getting an orange winged amazon im looking for the perfect cage. Ive given myself a headache looking an i just cant decide on the best one. So what has other people got an what is good. Thanks.

congratulations on getting an OW amazon, the rule is the bigger the better with these birds, my OW's do not even have a cage as they have freedom of my home.

congratulations on getting an OW amazon, the rule is the bigger the better with these birds, my OW's do not even have a cage as they have freedom of my home.
To be honest i plan on having him/her out the hole time im home which is alot only really using a cage for bedtime and the odd few hours we leave an school runs as i would want to risk him/her flying out the door getting in with 3 children. Just need a cage suitable for those times. And i would like advise on a good training program for baby for me to follow.

it is still the rule the bigger the better although the cage may not be used much, I will tag our @Roz regarding training a young OW as Roz is far better at explaining training than I am.

I'm with Michael in saying the bigger the better. Also try to go for the best you can afford - cheap cages are false economy... they are flimsy and likely to start rusting. You also need to get the right bar spacing: 1.25" or 3cms (no bigger) and have feeder doors that open out so that the food bowls are accessible from outside the cage. Think about if you want a cage with a play top or not. They can offer more space to play/hang out on. As soon as you fill the cage with natural perches and toys, space is being eaten up.

I'm with Michael in saying the bigger the better. Also try to go for the best you can afford - cheap cages are false economy... they are flimsy and likely to start rusting. You also need to get the right bar spacing: 1.25" or 3cms (no bigger) and have feeder doors that open out so that the food bowls are accessible from outside the cage. Think about if you want a cage with a play top or not. They can offer more space to play/hang out on. As soon as you fill the cage with natural perches and toys, space is being eaten up.
I was thinking of buying the rainforest georgia as it looked well made anthe right size for the space i have. Also looked at the bolivia but looks abit small even though it was in the amazon bit on scarletts

Ooops forgot to take a pic of Ollie's (Orange-wing) cage tonight, but found an old pic below.

My Amazons have Montana cages (sadly no longer for sale in this country, but you can get them shipped from Germany or Holland, which is what I did with two of them). This is Ollie's cage:

7z7po3a.jpg

Rainforest are probably one of the better brands in this country. The Georgia is a better size than the Boliva which is tiny.

Ive had a look cant find the montana for delivery over here. If the georgias a good fit for an orange wing ill order that. Do like the playtop cages though. Not a huge fan ouf the cages that open up on top an close find them akward with toys an bits you want to hang i guess i dont have to open it an create a play area on top myself.

The Georgia will do fine, and yes you do not have to open the top. They come in the dark colour or the light grey, I have 2 in light grey, and 2 Bolivias (the smaller version) in light grey for my smallies.

The Georgia will do fine, and yes you do not have to open the top. They come in the dark colour or the light grey, I have 2 in light grey, and 2 Bolivias (the smaller version) in light grey for my smallies.
Do you have amazon in a georgia cage? Sorry im being nosey now.

Before anyone comments on how cruel I am not giving Bilbo loads of toys he is not interested one bit and they just get in his way. He loves the space and his rope that's all he likes.

Bilbo is no trouble at all he was a rescue so I kinda knew his personality a bit, however he was in a bad way under weight and very depressed. He's now one spoilt parrot and looking much better. You never know what a bird is going to be like or be like with you.

Before anyone comments on how cruel I am not giving Bilbo loads of toys he is not interested one bit and they just get in his way. He loves the space and his rope that's all he likes.

No judgement hun, BUT I was told Lou doesn't like toys, she lived in a bare cage I believe. She loves toys, slow introductions, hit and miss in finding what they like but worth it to keep trying even if it is placed out of the way at the bottom for now. Sometimes it can take a long time for them to accept new additions to their 'homes'. :)

Last edited:
I have a Montana Georgia that was Plum's (and now Rubes') and a Rainforest Georgia for Lou. The Rainforest is the far better made cage. The Montana wheels were rubbish and even though have changed them still have problems. Take care with the roof opening (I dont use it) as there have been accidents reported with these.

PS it is necessary to change those broom handle perches that come with every cage, they are not good for feet. I use only one that gives Rubes' access to her food pots and is not a main perch which IMHO should be a natural branch from safe wood or something like a Java. Personally I have opted for Sisal and cotton rope perches as well as a sturdy nail trim perch to keep nails trimmed.

Plum was very switched on and realised that the food doors could be a way out so were not used and cable tied. I purchased some plastic green pots that click in and they worked well. I know plastic doesnt work well for all birds. @Zoe220615

Last edited:
i have tried putting toys in one at a time, he completely ignores them for well over a month until it’s covered in dust. If he has a toy in an area of his cage he won’t use that part of his cage. I tried hanging stuff on the outside but again wouldn’t go near them. He’s definitely not scared of toys or anything really, it’s like he doesn’t know what to do. As for the cage top you must always make sure you wedge it securely and I wouldn’t hang loads of toys on the bits that open as the weight of them and a parrot smashing about is normally the reason the doors fall shut.

Back
Top Bottom