Behaviours of a new adopted African Grey

TomBee

Registered
Afternoon all,

I've recently adopted my second parrot - a 5/6 year old African Grey - after my old boy died a few months back.

I've had him a week and just wanted to seek guidance on a couple of behaviours.

Firstly, he spends a lot of time on his perch, crouched down with his wings slightly apart and shaking then ever so slightly. Sort've like mantling behaviour. Whenever I go to pick him up his demeanour changes and he steps up (mostly.) What could this be about? I'm tempted to say settling in nerves or a general nervous disposition but I wonder if there's any more to it.

Secondly, when I pick him up he grips onto my finger and flaps away. He generates some downforce but doesn't seem to be flying away - his wings are clipped so he wouldn't get very far anyway!!

He's in a corner cage, like a quarter pie, with one straight edge against a solid wall, the other faces out of a window. Given the current climate myself and my girlfriend have been near present in the house. My old boy loved the position in the house.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Cheers.

Its a shame his wings are clipped, we love photos, so sorry to hear of your other grey; what do you know about your birds past?
photo of Holly playing in the garden IMG_1006.JPG

Its a shame his wings are clipped, we love photos, so sorry to hear of your other grey; what do you know about your birds past?
photo of Holly playing in the garden View attachment 29390
Thanks - my old boy was a lovely bird.

He's not had a bad past at all. Lived at a good home, well cared for.

I'm not sure what his living arrangements were but I know he lived around a lot of other birds - macaws, sulphur cresties, greys...all sorts. I'm unsure if he shared a cage.

I'll try and grab a couple of photographs when he wakes up - unless he's got the morning grumps.

well it sounds like he has been at my place Ha Ha but when I check my records no his not been here Ha Ha. this is Mo with poppy

Attachments

• IMG_0769.JPG
    IMG_0769.JPG
    139.9 KB · Views: 8
I do hope that your greys feathers return, the pram I use as exercise for the wings, Holly had pulled a lot of her feathers out after her dad passed away, his sons could not stop her and asked me to help. this is RIMG_0251.JPGeggie

Agree that the crouching and quivering of wings most likely means he wants to come out of the cage. If he immediately steps up on your hand - fantastic! Can he climb out on his own and make his way to the top of the cage? Just wondering if he would be happier out of the cage more often.

Does he lean in any direction when flapping on your finger - usually it's towards where they want to go. Another thought might be that he's not sure of you carrying him? Maybe slow right down and see if he still does it. Sad that he is clipped - the flapping may also be his way of exercising. I have an Amazon who hangs onto the bars of the cage and flaps there.

Agree that the crouching and quivering of wings most likely means he wants to come out of the cage. If he immediately steps up on your hand - fantastic! Can he climb out on his own and make his way to the top of the cage? Just wondering if he would be happier out of the cage more often.

Does he lean in any direction when flapping on your finger - usually it's towards where they want to go. Another thought might be that he's not sure of you carrying him? Maybe slow right down and see if he still does it. Sad that he is clipped - the flapping may also be his way of exercising. I have an Amazon who hangs onto the bars of the cage and flaps there.

Thanks for the response.

I've been avoiding letting him have free reign on the cage because I took the shivering wing behaviour to be nerves and I didn't want to get him out only to have him panic or refuse to go back in.

I'll have him out on top for a bit tomorrow and see how we fare.

With regards the flapping, he doesn't seem to be going in any particular direction. Hopefully it's just a bit of exercise. I'm sure his feathers will grow back in due course.

He leans away from my hand once he's willingly gotten on there.

I'm a little worried as twice he's flapped himself off my hand and onto the floor.

I'll try it slower tomorrow?

I'm hoping it doesn't put him off me. He's been so good at stepping up.

you can try to keep him on your hand a little longer by offering a small treat, this will associate your hand with something good it is obvious to me he wants to fly. grow back feathers.

how do I find out what a birds tastes preference's are with out knowing it likes and dislikes, I use a stainless still bun tray that has 12 different cup sections, placing seeds and nuts separated in each section (I do the same with fruit and veg) place it in the bottom of the cage away from above perch. and just watch what goes first. you can do this as often as it takes to go through the variety of feeds you can give. smaller birds you can use the tray from a box of chocolate, just send the chocolates to me :thumbsup:

Thanks for the advice Micheal. I'll giveit a go when he's a little more settled and not scared of any foreign bodies in his cage.

I've had him out on the top of the cage these last few days, for short period. He loved it.

Hello!

I also have a grey who was clipped by the breeder and experiencing the same wanting to fly stance as yourself!
My boy is only 8.5 months old and hoping for his wings to grow back in, he is out of his cage whenever we are home and a number of times has taken (lack of) flight and landed on the floor shocking himself! I posted a thread about this concerned but the great members reassured me and advised me what to do.

He does the same as you explained your bird does, if he is out on the top of his cage, stand or even on us he dips his head and puts his wings out a little bobbing his head up and down. Cute but can't wait for him to fly and be able to move himself round the room! He has started to say 'up' putting his foot up when he wants to move.

I used to try limit his time out the cage worried he would fly off or try to but i let him out whenever im home now, he is much happier to spend time on our shoulders than inside his cage haha!

Wish you well with your grey! 😁

Hello!

I also have a grey who was clipped by the breeder and experiencing the same wanting to fly stance as yourself!
My boy is only 8.5 months old and hoping for his wings to grow back in, he is out of his cage whenever we are home and a number of times has taken (lack of) flight and landed on the floor shocking himself! I posted a thread about this concerned but the great members reassured me and advised me what to do.

He does the same as you explained your bird does, if he is out on the top of his cage, stand or even on us he dips his head and puts his wings out a little bobbing his head up and down. Cute but can't wait for him to fly and be able to move himself round the room! He has started to say 'up' putting his foot up when he wants to move.

I used to try limit his time out the cage worried he would fly off or try to but i let him out whenever im home now, he is much happier to spend time on our shoulders than inside his cage haha!

Wish you well with your grey! 😁

Sadly he wants nothing to do with me today. Runs off to hide when I offer my hand.

I can only assume this is because he had a few wrecks after flapping on my hand yesterday?

Any advice?

Back
Top Bottom