Hi everyone!

Number8

Registered
Hi, hope your 2020 has started well.
Bean and I have not had a great day today so thought we'd make some friends.
Bean is a 14yr old Hahn's Macaw. Bean enjoys telling you to hurry up, and takes the mick out of you if you snore or cough.
When I bought Bean, I didn't really have an awareness of why buying from pet shops was a bad thing. Bean caught a virus from the other pet shop birds. We only knew something wasn't right when he started plucking and had lots of tests done.
He's been a bit naked for the last 8 years because the virus itched and that became a terrible habit.
This morning we had to run to the vet. Bean has returned with a bandage and a little jumper that he is extremely displeased with.
As we're both feeling a bit down, we hope you will welcome us.

Hello and welcome Nuber8 and Bean. I have to ask did Bean damage himself? ok he is now wearing a jumper, did you ask your vet if they can give him a swimming costume for when he has a shower, we are all friendly and some of us have pluckers as well it can be so frustrating and find we always looking for answers to change there ways. Bean sounds quite a character, the mini macaws are so funny, I miss my Hahn's.

:welcome: to you and Bean.
Years ago we regularly holiday homed a Hahns who talked no stop and was a real rascal.
Sorry that Bean is a plucker , what is the reason for the bandage & jumper?
I am guessing you have an avian vet you take him to.
Can we have a photo of the dear chap please as we do love photos.:thumbsup:

Hello and welcome Nuber8 and Bean. I have to ask did Bean damage himself? ok he is now wearing a jumper, did you ask your vet if they can give him a swimming costume for when he has a shower, we are all friendly and some of us have pluckers as well it can be so frustrating and find we always looking for answers to change there ways. Bean sounds quite a character, the mini macaws are so funny, I miss my Hahn's.
Yes, sadly bean damaged himself. First time he has done something like that. We aren't able to conclude if it's behavioural or linked to the virus yet. He's been pulling at his jumper all evening. But hello! And thank you.

:welcome: to you and Bean.
Years ago we regularly holiday homed a Hahns who talked no stop and was a real rascal.
Sorry that Bean is a plucker , what is the reason for the bandage & jumper?
I am guessing you have an avian vet you take him to.
Can we have a photo of the dear chap please as we do love photos.:thumbsup:
Yes, i have a bird guru. The bandage is covering the damage he caused and the treatment he's had today to repair. The jumper is to distract from the bandage. We've got painkillers to administer yet lol

yes I have had the same problem, trying to find the trigger for self harm is nightmare's Sorry for it sounding so bad I was joking and trying to cheer you up, I had found using a nebulizer helps a bird to relax, but also teaching birds to forage also helps, I will tag in our @Roz for her thoughts

Hi and welcome to the forum from its and our flock :welcome: . Everyone on here is super helpful and friendly. It's been a great source of help and support for us. We actually wanted a Hahns macaw originally, they are so gorgeous! We went to visit and discuss with a breeder, but there were no Hahns babies ready or due. She showed us around to let us get a feel for the place, (probably the worst thing to so lol!) We saw a little baby BG macaw that we fell for and he's 9 this year :lol:. He's the reason we're members on this forum!

yes I have had the same problem, trying to find the trigger for self harm is nightmare's Sorry for it sounding so bad I was joking and trying to cheer you up, I had found using a nebulizer helps a bird to relax, but also teaching birds to forage also helps, I will tag in our @Roz for her thoughts
The vet talked about foraging. I've made up some big cardboard tubes with shred newspaper (what's your thoughts on stuffing materials?), paper straws and a couple of treats inside. Bean has no interest at all. How do you teach foraging?

Hi and welcome to the forum from its and our flock :welcome: . Everyone on here is super helpful and friendly. It's been a great source of help and support for us. We actually wanted a Hahns macaw originally, they are so gorgeous! We went to visit and discuss with a breeder, but there were no Hahns babies ready or due. She showed us around to let us get a feel for the place, (probably the worst thing to so lol!) We saw a little baby BG macaw that we fell for and he's 9 this year :lol:. He's the reason we're members on this forum!
Hello!!!!! Hahns are great and just the right size for me. Breeder visits are just like window shopping: you never set out to buy but you always come home with something. At least a parrot is a wonderful something. You're right about the group too. I'm so glad everyone is supportive about plucking. It's not as if we want the babies to be naked.i was really surprised about the vet waiting room too - people weren't judging.

Welcome from me and my zoo, parrot keeping is very challenging and can be very hard at times. Lots of us have pluckers including me we have members who have birds with a few snipped feathers to complete boldies, there can be so many reasons behind it.

Hello!!!!! Hahns are great and just the right size for me. Breeder visits are just like window shopping: you never set out to buy but you always come home with something. At least a parrot is a wonderful something. You're right about the group too. I'm so glad everyone is supportive about plucking. It's not as if we want the babies to be naked.i was really surprised about the vet waiting room too - people weren't judging.
Our little girl, Bebe is a partial nudist so I understand the worry and frustration. We are her 4th (I think!) home and she has a few psychological issues, although she has calmed a lot in the years we've had her. It is good to know that other people understand and can support!

@RoyJess has posted a very good video on foraging I think he will see the tag when he comes on next and post the link. @Roz at have other ideas on the training side. @DizzyBlue also has a self harmer. You can see me use a nebulizer with a self harmer if you search for the post "National geographic"

:welcome: Number8 and Bean! So sorry you are having to go through this. It must be heartbreaking. Which virus did Bean contract, if you don't mind me asking?

Try playing with Bean and the toys to get him interested. Also when wrapping treats in paper, etc, make them easy to find at first (may even have to leave them sticking out in view, and let Bean see you put them in place), then when he catches on wrap them tighter and begin to hide them from view. The foraging materials can become gradually more complex as Bean catches on.

See my thread here, I too have a Hahns and like most Macaws, they are prone to feather plucking, and once the habit sets in, it's very hard to stop.

The foraging video with foraging tree can be seen here as well as these sites, worth a look (3 links below including video)

Back
Top Bottom