Budgie related: do budgie like toys?

Bigpapa

I am thinking of making / having a small area in my room where "night" my budgie can go and play

I'm curious wether it is worth doing as I am not sure wether budgies like playing with toys?

If they do then what kind of toys should I get for him!

So far I have all ready put 2 pirch stick in the corner of the room where I am wanting the play area to go

also going to make a shower tub just like someone made and posted in the forum, awesome idea that was

I have met budgies who like playing cards running around turning them over
Some like simple things like throwing things off table tops
Some love playing with ping pong balls and running around and battering them about like footie lol
Bells seem to be a favourite too :)
Yes budgies do like toys and a play area is a great idea perhaps a home made play stand
You will find as you and your budgie get to know each other then you will find out what your birdie prefers
My outdoor aviary budgies love toys and things to mess with and trash and chew to bits even though they have each other for company they also like to go off and play with toys alone.
Toys keep the brain active and entertained
Just make sure whatever you provide is safe and suitable.
I wouldn't recommend a mirror though they become obsessed by them and stop other activities that they should be doing.
Did you know that its been budgies that have held the world records for a number of years now in the Guinness Book of World Records for most spoken words? They may be little parrots but they have huge personalities :)

I have met budgies who like playing cards running around turning them over
Some like simple things like throwing things off table tops
Some love playing with ping pong balls and running around and battering them about like footie lol
Bells seem to be a favourite too :)
Yes budgies do like toys and a play area is a great idea perhaps a home made play stand
You will find as you and your budgie get to know each other then you will find out what your birdie prefers
My outdoor aviary budgies love toys and things to mess with and trash and chew to bits even though they have each other for company they also like to go off and play with toys alone.
Toys keep the brain active and entertained
Just make sure whatever you provide is safe and suitable.
I wouldn't recommend a mirror though they become obsessed by them and stop other activities that they should be doing.
Did you know that its been budgies that have held the world records for a number of years now in the Guinness Book of World Records for most spoken words? They may be little parrots but they have huge personalities :)

Oh that's a first, everyone normally suggest to put a mirror in for a single budgie

I'm not really sure what type of toys a bird would like

Beads on a string ??
Swing ?
Bells?
Something that they can slide about ??

It is just a case of trying a few things. They may not take to them immediately - anything new is usually treated with suspicion - but given time they will begin to investigate. Simple things scattered on a table, like shredded paper, plastic and wooden rings, lollipop sticks, toothpicks or cocktail sticks with the sharp ends cut off (with a fingernail cutter), broken up egg boxes. Our budgies will pick up feathers that they have dropped from their bodies and nibble on them, so try those too. Basil likes to throw those over the side of the table.

Stainless steel wire loaded with beads and buttons - plastic and wooden - go down well too. Just take care to ensure that the ends of the wire are covered e.g. fold it back and wedge the sharp end into a bead. Leather string or bands are good too - the type that has been tanned with vegetable oils. Wire, leather, beads & buttons all available in bulk from eBay and the like - try searching for craft supplies. Any toys that you buy or make yourself should be checked regularly to make sure that they are still safe.

We have a bird stand designed to be used outside, but I took the table top off as the wood was treated and replaced it with untreated pine. Strips of pine around the edges keep most of the bits and pieces contained (but most birds like to throw things over the side!). The tops of the strips had the angles taken off them with an electric sander so that they are easier on the birds' feet. We sprinkle some dry budgie food around to encourage them to forage. If they have to start moving other items around to get the food, they soon get used to them.

Our budgies have hoops and rings in their cage, and they will happily swing on silicone tubing suspended from the cage roof. They also like to play with and chew on carrot leaf, so we buy carrots with the tops still on them and hang them from the cage roof.

Budgies are the one of the liveliest birds and if given the chance to play and show off, they will keep you entertained with their antics all day.

Thanks guys

I just went a bit crazy and got carried away last night!!!
ordered so many bloody toys

These are just some of them

Screenshot_2019-11-08-10-19-44-91.png
Screenshot_2019-11-08-10-19-23-97.png
Screenshot_2019-11-08-09-34-08-65_260528048de7f2f358f0056f785be619.png
Screenshot_2019-11-08-09-33-15-79_260528048de7f2f358f0056f785be619.png X 3
Screenshot_2019-11-08-09-32-23-24_260528048de7f2f358f0056f785be619.png

And 2 X ladders
I didn't know causing a mess is classed as toys!! Shredded paper etc
Might have to do that at some point then to keep him entertained

I'm going to put all this in a small area so it's like a play area for him
It's not going in the cage

Yes, that's good. His cage should be considered his home base and somewhere that he can fly back to when he's hungry or tired, but encouraging him to come out and explore is great. Our four lads burst out of their cage first thing in the morning and have a mad fly around as I'm changing their food and water bowls. Once they've got that out of their systems, they go back in to eat and drink then come and go as they please. If one comes out, they usually all come out, check out the table together and fly as a mini flock. It can get quite hectic :D

Thanks guys

I just went a bit crazy and got carried away last night!!!
ordered so many bloody toys

These are just some of them

View attachment 28577
View attachment 28578
View attachment 28579
View attachment 28580 X 3
View attachment 28581

And 2 X ladders
I didn't know causing a mess is classed as toys!! Shredded paper etc
Might have to do that at some point then to keep him entertained

I'm going to put all this in a small area so it's like a play area for him
It's not going in the cage

Just be careful with the wooden swing , i had one of these and one of my budges got his claw stuck in the chain that's on ether side. I went to help him straight away but luckily he got himself lose but it panicked him . He loved it as well , he spent hours walking on it and playing but somehow he got his nail wedge right near the bottom of the chain where the wood is. It might just of been a freak accident but i haven't put it in since, i am going to take the chain off and re place them with some thin rope instead so he can have it back.

Many toys can hide there dangers, the chances of accidents are very low, even the cages there selves can cause problems, depending on the designed shape and the way edges are joined. its good that you noticed the problem and has found away to make it safer

i agree , there are so many dangers and yes like i say it may just have been a freak accident. Please though just be aware when buying toys for birds to check that there is nothing they can get caught up in or chew and end up eating bits of plastic or fine fibres. Mine have got a large multiple hoop toy joined up and the green one ( Buzz) loves climbing through them , it's so funny to watch but the hoops are big enough so he doesn't get stuck.

ok a great for instance that had just happened (within the last 20 minutes , in one of my spare cages in the bird room I have the feeding bowls that are plastic half circle type that fit on the cage via two ninety degree hooks, they are great as extra treat bowls as they fit on most cages inside and out. one of my superb parrots just got his leg ring caught in the hook whilst on the outside of the cage the bowl was on the inside. ok his calls alerted me so I was able to get him free, I have been using this type of bowl for nearly all my bird keeping career and this is the first time this had happened.
we do our best to make every thing as safe as possible but you are dealing with curious intelligent and nosey two to four year old toddlers so you always have to stay alert. Bobbie is fine by the way.

Back
Top Bottom