Avian Gastric Yeast/ Mega Bacteria

BeeBee

Hi all
Sorry to come on with a question after not being on much lately!
Could anyone tell me what the latest recommended treatment for AVG is and where to get it? I know Megabac s can only be imported now?
It is for a budgie (*who is under the vet and and had a number of tests and treatments ruling out other things) and this was the next course of action to try but not getting much help via vets. Need to change vets I think but hate to travel too far with a little'n .

Thanks so much for reading

BB x

oh and you can use it to scrub out all his toys and cage as well if you get a bottle (its quite cheap from the supermarket) to get rid of it completely in case he's flicked any anywhere thereby stopping him from ingesting it again and re-infecting.
The used to be thought to be thought to be a bacteria but was proven to be a yeast and the acidity of apple alters the ph and thereby stops the yeast flourishing / growing. Apparently grapefruit juice has the same effect but have never met a bird that actually likes grapefruit … but my lot are weirdo's on a good day!

Thanks Dizzy ...and show me a non-weirdo bird...lol.
I've got organic cider vinegar and have given before. I plan to use it preventitivly in the water when he's sorted, hopefully but am wary of putting him off drinking. But maybe well have to try it down the hatch.
It's been going on for several months now bless him.
BTW, I have read that there has been some research into using F10 in drinking water to control it (the kind used for nebulization).
Meanwhile supplements and lots if TLC. Is there than anything sadder than a sick birdie folks? :emoji_slight_frown::emoji_hatched_chick:

If he won't drink it in his water get him nibbling on fresh pulped apple
Errr as for the F10 I wouldn't advise ingestion diluted or not as that is going to upset everything in the digestive tract and not target specifically the yeast it will effect all the flora and forna in there and that means the good stuff too.

Thank you.
Yes sounds scary doesn't it! And yuck!
I think if they have any kind of drug or illness it's probably important to get the gut flora back to normal.

BioPlus Powdered Probiotic available from Northern Parrots and suitable for budgies, I use it now and again for the girls as it contains B Vitamins also. I used to regularly give Plum some Probiotic after his medicines. Make sure that there is no food given that will help yeast thrive and grow hun.

Thank you. Love the name Plum! Your galah? I love them. Sweet and feisty :emoji_heart_eyes:!

Yes you must rule not them or you're in trouble and they don't respect you. Boundaries are essential.
I can imagine. My tiel in a mood is quite something!
You don't happen to follow the Birdtricks people on YouTube do you?

Thank you. Love the name Plum! Your galah? I love them. Sweet and feisty :emoji_heart_eyes:!
Yes hun I lost Plum last year, he had fatty liver related issues. No they are considered a dirty word in some bird circles. There are plenty of others to look out for that provide good info and common sense goes a long way too.

Thought I'd update..
We have some new drugs to try from the vet now and have started crop feeding as well to support him. He was more lively this morning after going to bed full, so fingers crossed we can get on top of it and hopefully maintain things naturally. All his friends are fine.
Birdie prayers please!
Happened to see a video where they had just lost a lovely galah. So sad.

Thanks again for replies.
BB x

Glad he's got some meds to help sort him out :) what have they prescribed?
Heaps of birdie prayers

Aww thankyou!
He's having Itraconazole (and Metronidazole as he had a small improvement on it before) It's hard as his test came back normal so we can't be certain what it's is but you can't keep delaying waiting for tests especially with these teeny ones . Plus you think twice about how much stress you put them through!
He's got Harrison's recovery food and supplements. He's eaten tonight himself as well.
Thanks for replying
BB x

:emoji_hatched_chick: Yes indeed. We can't help but be extra protective of him as we had him as a little rescue in a bit of a state (full of mites and butchered wings) and he blossomed so beautifully, it's extra hard to seem him poorly!

Back
Top Bottom