Rusty Cages

kathryn k

Registered
Just bought a new cage for my baby ring neck. Bought the wrong size (another story!) so decided to see if my Alexandrian Einstein would take to it. He moved in straight away so I took his old cage to give it a good clean for the little one. When I started taking it to pieces I found some rust underneath where his water bottle used to be.
Is it safe to put the little one in there or should I be thinking in terms of another new cage?

is it on the floor of your cage? can it be covered? If it can be covered or is out of your birds reach then it should be safe, if not get a new cage

Depending on how bad the rust is and where it is as Michael says above.
If its under the bottom grill and your bird can't get to it that's one thing and not mega urgent. If its on the bars or the bowl holder then you could use very very fine sand paper or indeed fine wire wool and scrub the rust off and then make sure you get every little bit of powder / wire wool bits out and keep checking it on a regular basis to ensure it doesn't return as a temporary measure that's it's a powder coated cage - when I say temporary I mean temporary but it does buy you some time to save up and organise another cage.
If the cage is plastic coated then you have no way of knowing what the under laying metal is so wouldn't be an option and it would have to be a new cage.
Either way at some point it's going to be a new cage its just the length of time until you have to bite the bullet so to speak as to when you have to get it.

It's just above the tray compartment, more than I realised once I'd finished. Looks like it's going to be sooner rather than later so it turns out there is an advantage to being
housebound - you don't get to go out shopping and spend all your money so its not going to be too much of a problem. Being only a youngster he's nibbling and exploring all the time.
Thanks for the help

So scrub the tray and cover it with something like cardboard then the newspaper on top of that to stop him trying to find out what you covered lol that should tide you over until new cage arrives :)

Thanks for the help I can at least hang on till I get rid of the box from the last new cage!

I have an easy way of getting rid of old boxes, I just give them to Buster my greater sulphur crested too he soon destroys them, just loves making a mess every where

Buster's welcome to these boxes they're a bit beyond my Alexandrian Einstein but then he prefers wood, tables, dressing tables and he also ruined my old blackberry phone.
Picked some of the keys off. All part of the fun! I think I put up with the things he does better than what the kids used to do. It's just 'Oh Einstein!'

Back
Top Bottom