Urgent Advice Please- Alfie Is Sick

Hi everyone,

After this morning I ended up sitting on the floor and crying my eyes out (not enough sleep methinks). I made an emergency appointment with the vet. Mum was worried the journey would kill him but to be honest last night I felt like I was watching him slowly die and really began to question whether what I was doing was just cruel. So I decided to risk the journey down to Murcia and the vet was wonderful. The test results have come back and do not show any bacterial infection. He weighed him and was very impressed that he is maintaining his weight. He is happy with the changes in his droppings- they are not perfect by any means but do show signs of improvement.

He gave him another intravenous injection and gave me another 2 to bring home for tomorrow and Monday. Alfie attacked and bit him and the vet thought this was fantastic and then Alfie proceeded to take ownership of the examination table- the vet had to towel him to get him back in his travel cage. Once in there he had no energy but the vet did some other assessments to see how alert is his. The vet said his aggression and burst of energy was a good thing but is also part of the problem- he is making himself exhausted. He also said Alfie is far more alert today than he was on Wednesday.

I asked him to look for ticks, parasites and he did another examination and then looked at his wing again. He is certain the wing is not broken or hurt and says Alfie just doesn't have the strength to hold it up. He has seen it before and it can take a while to sort itself. He did say if it becomes too much of a problem or if Alfie starts to get frustrated or shows any sign of hurting himself it can be wrapped.

He wants Alfie to be out in the sun for 20-30 minutes a day but no longer and he must have access to shade at all times. I am not to bath him but just use a damp cloth to wipe off any food. He must stay in his travel cage. I am to continue sending pictures of his droppings throughout the day and also video anything which I am concerned about and send it to him. He also gave me something else to put in his baby parrot food which I am to keep offering for the next 5 days.

He has taken another stool sample, the tests continue. He said Alfie is very sick but is improving and he is very happy with his improvements. He said that we are treating him for everything at the moment because nothing is showing itself in the test results. He did say this will not be an overnight thing and Alfie will need some time to recover but I am doing everything I can to make sure the outcome is a positive one for him. He cannot make me any promises but he is happy with the improvements he is seeing, even if in my eyes those improvements are very tiny.

I also asked if I am disturbing him too much at night, waking him every 3-4 to get him to drink as he needs lots of sleep. He said I should aim to give Alfie his 'last' drink at 12 and he I feel he has had a lot then I can leave it until 6 but if he only take a little to wake him up. He says the reason why Alfie isn't too dehydrated or losing weight is because I am hand-feeding every 4 hours so I am to continue this until he starts taking food himself.

I feel rational again...think I lost the plot a bit this morning but it was beyond upsetting to see him collapse again (I have lost count how many times I have thought he has dropped down dead before my eyes), mum joked we have given him his last rites at least 3 times. I think my expectations were too high and although I didn't think he would be completely well I did think he would be much better than he is. The vet said I need to see this as a longer process, it is going to take time and if Alfie continues to have his usually attitudesand outbursts it will sometimes look like we are taking a step back.

You must be exhausted @Lisa7284 what with the stress, anxiety and driving all that way.
It is good that the vet sees improvements, and I must say I did giggle at Alfie taking control of the exam table....that’s definitely the Alfie we all know!

You’re doing a great job with home, I know how difficult it is, and it’s not like they can tell you what is wrong, or whether it hurts etc. It’s good that he’s got his stubborn sprint there, but as you say he needs to contain his energy rather!

Sending you lots of love, and we have our fingers and feathers crossed here for more news of progress xxx

Thank you @TomsMum, I think because he showed so much improvement yesterday I had it in my mind we were out of the danger zone and that sick feeling I have had since Tuesday went. I let myself believe he wasn't going to die so when he then went down hill again it got too much. Plus I don't really think I know what I am doing. I have only ever had Alfie and he has never been sick before. I have come to realise today I am doing what the vet would do if he was with him but Alfie would be more stressed away from home.

Aawww, thank you @Michael Reynolds I do feel like a weight has been lifted from my shoulders today and what I am doing seems to be working and there is nothing I am not doing (if that makes sense). I just wish I knew what has caused him to become ill. We keep going over everything but until we know what is wrong with him I won't know what I did to cause it.

I was up at one this morning just if you needed to talk and kept checking on you post, until other members came on, your news from the vet has even eased my mind, you are doing so well and your avian vet sounds fantastic Alfie is so lucky to have you both

So glad to hear that you are getting the support you need from the vet Lisa. It's really important to have that reassurance. I was telling Grant about you and Alfie today and how I felt for you having gone through something similar not too long ago. You have a bunch of people here rooting for you and Alfie. Hoping tomorrow is a better day [emoji847]Xx

Sent from my Moto Z2 Play using Tapatalk

I really do appreciate all the advice and support I have gotten from you all. I don't think other people realise the relationship we develop with our feathered friends or how scary it is when they get ill. I read so many horror stories online when I was looking for ways to help him that I think it convinced me he was going to die. But you all helped me stay sane...well just.... okay I may have lost it a little this morning. And the advice you have given has been great- I have tried it all! This really is a special forum

Glad you got peace of mind from the vet emergency appointment sorry for scaring you regarding the tick thought will keep me gob shut when random thoughts cross it again!
Huge hugs to you hunni really glad Alfie is a tad better than he was xx

@DizzyBlue Don't be sorry, it could have been a possibility and is something else we have crossed off. Plus it is something for me to be aware of in the future. I regularly check Bear for ticks but it has never occurred to me to check Alfie before.

I really want to get to the bottom of his illness so any suggestions I can run by with the vet is appreciated. @DizzyBlue your advice is always appreciated.

Back
Top Bottom