Kakarikik Winking

Dave Smith

Hello all.
I've had my bird for 3 weeks but these last 2 days she has been shuting her left eye.
But only when she is resting, but her right eye is open.
I can't see any puss or anything that looks wrong with it & when feeding or doing anything she has both open normally & you wouldn't know anything was wrong?
Thanks for any advice.
Dave

Well keep an eye on it (no pun intended). I can’t really give a definitive answer, but my conure Charlie often used to do the one eye shut bit.
Let’s see what other members think.

Last edited:
Some birds will just close one eye when resting, if you approach dose your bird quickly open its eye? many birds will close there eyes but leave a slight gap so it can detect movement or light changes. Kaks like dark places to rest properly. you can do simple tests to check that the bird has sight in both eyes by moving the finger so it can only see on each side separately and watching for your birds reaction. if you have any doubt as far as eyes go you should see your avian vet for a check up.

Yep mine does the one eye closed, when he’s tired and won’t give in. He doesn’t want to miss anything. Think toddler at bedtime and you’ve got it, he also likes tucking his leg and foot under his body, gives his leg a rest after a hard day standing around and playing.

Back
Top Bottom