Parrot Cage Shelves

DizzyBlue

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
So MrP in his wisdom after all of this time in the last three days has decided to totally destroy his natural parrot shelf and as I type this I can hear him chewing sections of it making it into match wood!
I want to give him a large flat shelf that bolts on to the cage side in natural wood that he can destroy if he wants too so don't really want java wood although he has killed them before he is better off on something no so slippery as java wood something with a little more grip and preferable similar to the one he had and will buy a couple of them but for the life of me can't remember where I got this one from think it may have been one of the PSUK shows....?!
The one he has just killed did have bark running around the outside of it so it was a branch slice.
Have looked at the Natural Bird Product Company but can't see one on there that is suitable for a very large double yellow headed amazon with a very powerful beak.
Don't have access to a band saw to enable me to cut my own (perhaps something to think about in the future to getting one)
Have any of the rest of you come across them anywhere before I go routing around for hours online?

This kind of thing …. but amazon parrot sized
Pet-Platform-Wood-Perch-Parrot-Hamster-Squirrel-Bird.jpg

I normally buy fire logs (Apple) the logs are already cut into quarters using a large washer and screwing it to the sides of the cage I find the excellent for disabled birds as you can place them around from the bottom to the top to form steps, I used them with Alan at first but now he has learnt to balance on a wide perch, its cheap for the amount o0f flat purchases they make and I also can use them on my fire . they are also great with providing chewing for the flock Buster loves chewing wood and these do last longer than most toys.

I got a java one for Charlie but they are quite bulky, and as you say not designed for chewing..

Karen at natural bird might be able to make you a bespoke one of the right size.

I'll email Karen and see if she can make one as not having something like a band saw to cut thick flat chunks of wood am pretty stuffed!
Thanks peeps

Email sent to Karen and fingers crossed.
Just measured the thickness of what is left of his platform … he's been chewing through inch and a quarter wood like it's flipping butter!! Think he is making sure that the next time he gets me he is at full strength and his beak is nice and sharp :yikes:

This flipping parrot isn't playing with a full deck!!
Not only has he totally killed his favourite platform, he's chewed through his swing (which is a macaw wood swing!!) …. but this I really have to watch today and tomorrow as he has decided that he will chew through his main perch …. the one that he is stood on :risas3: he's stood in the middle of it chewing like a flipping squirrel … wonder if he will realise that is not such a bright idea? :pancarta:

I'm waiting for a loud clatter and a shriek that will more than likely blow both of my ear drums to kingdom come :imwithstupid:

Funny that though, an amazon with such a powerful beak. Lucy Macaw with her huge beak is the least chewer of the flock, a little peck here, a little peck there, give her some easy paper like kitchen roll and she loves it, does not strain her royal muscles.

Is he buzz-sawing through your house, you know the tasty bits, door frames, skirting boards etc?

I’m wanting to get a a few of these shelf perches for Jambo. He’s a senagal, what size do you think I should go for?

I normally buy fire logs (Apple) the logs are already cut into quarters using a large washer and screwing it to the sides of the cage I find the excellent for disabled birds as you can place them around from the bottom to the top to form steps, I used them with Alan at first but now he has learnt to balance on a wide perch, its cheap for the amount o0f flat purchases they make and I also can use them on my fire . they are also great with providing chewing for the flock Buster loves chewing wood and these do last longer than most toys.

@Michael Reynolds I am going to try that for my disabled cockatiel, thank you Michael.

Back
Top Bottom