Just Checking

I’m sure she doesn’t have anything serious like PBFD. The best advice given that I know how worried you will be is to get her checked out by the vet. Check with them which lab they use for testing because some of them like PALS (Pinmore) can take flipping ages and are renowned for losing samples. I can recommend the lab in Manchester Labokiln, the are quick efficient and do all their tests on site.
Given her age this is probably her first really big moult.

She/He is just starting to feather pluck,this is the usual place they start.Now is the time to stop it as waiting will only encourage it.
To approve a single suggestion, mouse over it and click "✔"
Click the bubble to approve all of its suggestions.

Bless her. @Yellowchickenparrot our zoo we visit regularly has macaws that are beginning to feather pluck. They have so much enrichment and lots of free flying etc. They can't find a reason. They were checked over by a avian vet to rule things out.
I would get her checked over by a avian vet as they can physically access her. We can only go by photos. Hopefully nothing too serious.
You have done nothing wrong. Luna is very well cared for and she has the best family x

Thanks for all the help and advice guys im just shocked she might be stressed sick or bord, I spoil her rotten with time love and food it's just made me feel a bit poop. I had a real real good look at her earlier, pulled her wings open looked under them for mites or a rash or area of irritation, checked her back, chest bum looked in her mouth. Couldn't see any wounds or mites and I couldn't believe she let me Handel her so much she wasn't to happy but didn't bite or cause to much fuss. Hopfuly a avian vet can check her over and do bloods if needed

I was going to say shower her, but you say that is after a shower? Is it just the one side? Hoping the vet will reassure you.

No that was before a shower, she looked much better after her big shower but I have caught her over preening lots today but she has pin feathers all over her, I rushed out to get her some new toys and treats to hopfuly take her mind off things if she is starting to pluck.

The biggest problem with feather plucking is feeding ad lib.When food is available all the time they nfeed on it and then get bored.Small amounts that are hidden can work wonders in this case,however you must be creative each time you feed them.
To approve a single suggestion, mouse over it and click "✔"
Click the bubble to approve all of its suggestions.

I have 7 small bowls and each bowl has a small amount of seeds in. I measure it then split it into the 6 bowls then leave one with just toys in. I add a shelled almond and some days it will be other nuts. I then cover the seeds with beads (from Scarletts), foot toys etc. I then cover the toys in crinkled paper and then I put more beads and other toys (a good mix of plastic and wooden toys so they get something different in their bowls) on top. I also like putting them plastic nut and screws as mine love them. I then cover with chip paper. They have to forage and work for their food. It takes me ages to do all these pots but it is worth it. Roy showed me how and I am the pot maker. But I bought a extra set of bowls so when they have eaten all the seeds we then put new ones in. So I am a head.

20180417_191145-1560x2080-780x1040.jpg

I forgot to mention I would start the foraging pot idea I gave you slowly. To start off with you just put a thin strip of chip paper over her pots so she can see her food. Then when she has got the hang of that put some beads, foot toy, etc over her food then put a thicker strip of chip paper over the top. Then when she gets the hang of that put crinckled paper over her toys and off course put a even thicker piece of chip paper over her bowl.
Then after that you put toys over the crinkled paper and thicker piece of chip paper. (so she ends up with food, then toys on top then crinkled paper and more toys on top and finally the chip paper. This gives loads of layers to forage through to get to their food).
Then when she has mastered that stage you go and cover her whole bowl with the chip paper (like in my last photo).
Mine really really love them. I will never go back to feeding them the seeds with normal bowls. This gets them foraging but they then get to play with their toys and eat their seeds, nuts, milk thistle's etc. I like to change it weekly with different nuts. I also like to give a good variety of toys so it is not just plastic toy. It keeps them occupied for ages.
Bernie see's Roy putting her new pots in in the morning and she can't wait to get back to her cage to open them. She goes "wooo wooo wooo yeah" to her pots :risas3:

Back
Top Bottom