Illiger Macaw Baby Weight Query

Sorry - suddenly lost internet connection. Wanted to ask what age does she get the red feathers on her forehead? :emoji_heart:

Thanks again for all the help. I took her to the Vets today and she's underweight with baby behavior and wings starting to droop a bit. They're keeping her over night to get her on some recovery formula and check she doesn't have any infections/blockages etc. Poor baby xD Fingers crossed for her please! I'm hoping shes just regressed a bit and needs some more formula and nothing nasty going on. Hopefully i'll find out more tomorrow.

@Roz Sorry for the late reply! She already had the red feathers on her forehead from when i got her :) I love the red blobs on her wings too but I don't think they will stay? They are normally all green (i'm hoping she does stay with those, it's cute) :)

That's interesting @Christina Jones re the formula. I have a friend who used to breed Hahn's Macaws and after reading this thread, he thought your Illiger had not been properly weaned. That she should be on soft food still - as well as mashed sweet potato you could try scrambled eggs. He says that Macaws, like Greys, can take months to fully wean. So yes, that would be in agreement with your vet who is now feeding her formula.

That is cute that she already has red feathers on her forehead. Everything crossed for her. I am sure she will be ok now and start putting on the weight. :)

Thanks Roz, she's such a sweetie, but dropped to 165g now and its too low for comfort! I am SO glad i have helpful resources here at least to warn me to watch things like poop and weight and get her in quick. With those feathers on her you'd never know o.o Im hoping she just needs a good feed and will be feeling better soon <3

Thanks for the tips on soft food. I'll have to get her on that / see what the vet says. I tried the sweet potato/squash mash with coconut milk but she just looked at it whilst i was sat eating a plateful. Think she wasn't sure what was going on bless her.

Reactions: Roz
Just had an update, she seems quite lively and has taken really well to the hand feeding and sort of rummaging in the fruit/veg. Xray shows one of her stomachs is enlarged so she's staying in on some meds and awaiting blood/poop test results tomorrow :< poor birdie!

I've made the poor mistake of not getting vet insurance, which is all on me, if I get basic cover now can I cancel it if necessary? I know it won't cover anything that happens now but if she picks up and then drops again would it cover the next visit if it's related to the first visit but after the 14 day cooling off period? Also, worst case (I have to ask not that I want to) would it cover death insurance if something does happen if its as a result of this? (looking at exotic direct)

Panic over for now :) Breeder has been absolutely amazing! She's taken the bird back, paid the vets bills no questions asked and is going to nurse her back to health and when she has a confirmed good bill of health I can come get her again <3 A little sad she's not here with me but its for the best for her to be in experienced hands for feeding and care and i know she'll be safe there. Thank you to everyone here for all your kind words of advice and help!!

I am pleased the breeder has been good although I think the bird was a little young to be sold in the first place. at least when you get him back he should be fine

Back
Top Bottom