Uvb Lighting

Doogar

Registered
Hi all I have a question u noticed alot of you use the Arcadia bird lamps which are expensive and for some reason the bulbs blow quickly and are looking for cheaper alternatives would using lighting designed for reptiles be sufficient as I have noticed that the bulbs used for birds are rated at 2.4 uvb however bulbs for reptiles are either 2.0,5.0 or 10.0 as birds are relations to reptiles would using say the 5.0 bulb for reptiles be ok yes it's the double output of uvb but would all of that really get absorbed to help with d3 production or would the bird only use what it needs

Have you looked at ZooMed instead - I have two lamps and they are no problem. We do not use reptile lamps or bulbs. You need to remember that incorrect angled lights can have a negative effect on a parrots eyes/eyesight. Would a stronger bulb cause burns? I do not think any of us will risk that.
Why is this a problem hun? Parrots are expensive full stop, cages, food, toys, Avian Vet care, if you are struggling now then perhaps not the pet for you hun?

No problem was just a query I intend to spare no expense when it comes to my feathered friend I am a firm believer no matter what pet you have you must provide optimum care be it a goldfish or a parrot was just reading the post on here about the Arcadia bulbs and decided to do research on it and UVA uvb bulbs in general what I have also found is that the lamps should not be on for long periods of time but allow the bird to rest during what would be the hottest parts of the day so having the light switch off for a few hours at midday

Just looked at the zoomed aviansun it says it is a 5.0uvb is this correct as the Arcadia one is only a 2.4uvb

Just found this for you

Incandescent bulbs, including neodymium types do not emit UV and thus are not suitable for birds. Lamps high in UVB, such as reptile lamps, can cause cataracts, and should be avoided for bird use. Aquarium lamps do not offer the correct red blue ratio, and again should be avoided.

Excellent thanks very much sorry for all the questions I am very technically minded I like to know why and how things work and find it interesting to know as much as possible

Sometimes you don't need to re-invent the wheel hun.

Just make sure you read and follow the instructions as there is a burn in period and don't use in darkness.

No you MUST NOT use reptile bulbs, they are a different spectrum to avian bulbs and will not be healthy for your bird.

Yea I remember reading 10 to 18 inches away from bird head and only 1/3rd of the cage to be lit

Yes, but compacts will only fit that manufacturers holder because the bulbs are different shapes!

Yes, don't use reptile lamps - reptiles have totally different needs. I use the ZooMed lamps. And yes, they are meant to be about 18 inches away from the top of the bird's head and yes, only light part of the cage so the bird can escape it. There have been awful instances of growths, cancer, burning and cataracts by using reptile lamps, or using avian lamps incorrectly. Here is a good article:
https://wildliferehabber.com/rehab-data/using-full-spectrum-lighting-birds

I have arcadia but as I am having issues with none working bulbs being sent to me by the manufacturer to replace the ones that have all blown before their guaranteed one year life span is ended this year has been thus far a bulb nightmare :(
Some time this week a new bulb to me is being delivered I have ordered a Trixie Bird Bulb to test out. They are cheaper than the Arcadia and also the Zoomed ones so will update peeps on them when I have tested them out. May perhaps end up to be a better alternative to what is on the market pocket wise and life span wise.

Back
Top Bottom