Bird Show

me!!!a very kind friend is taking me. and I've shaken down husband for cash so will be going for it ! want mutation zebra finches , maybe a pair of bourkes, nest boxes, my travel cages are ready for morning, snacks for both birds and humans packed and really looking forward to it. have some quarentine cages ready for it do get what i am after. not driving I am very rarely able to go to events like this as they are always on sundays which means no prospect of getting there on public transport so I want to make the most of a rare trip.

Well we went folks, but a little disappointing really, lacking much choice re toys.

Came across an interesting stall at first glance and picked up a product to examine. Squinted at the listed ingredients (no glasses) and as soon as I saw onion listed put it back down. I said to the guy who was from PlanetAviary this looks good until I saw onion listed. He looked puzzled! I said "It can cause anaemia in parrots". He said well it's been developed by Dr Sarah Pryke to which I said "never heard of her". What's going on? We have one Dr insisting that we can feed raw mushrooms and another that we can feed onion? I am just off to offer the girls a chocolate biscuit with their cup of coffee! #crackingup!

Ps went to investigate the Naturally for Birds site and cannot find a definitive list of ingredients for the products so beware if you are tempted to buy.

I did see a Cockalah, yes a hybred Sulphur Crested, Rose Breasted cross. Only a baby, one of the women working on a stall had snapped him up for £1000. He was mainly grey with some yellow. She showed me the DNA and pics of the parents she had got. I hate seeing birds in cages and being tossed about like luggage though, heartbreaking.

Googled this person seems like she could be from Oz. No idea whether avian linked or not.
Hope your girls enjoyed their chocolate biscuits & coffee :risas3::risas3::risas3:
Goodness me joking aside, good thing you read the ingredients list.

Poor Cockalah,neither one thing or the other, I do dislike this unless of course it happened accidentally.

Years and years (about 20) since we've been to a show too far to travel a good 5-6 hrs each way from down here & I have no wish to go anyway. Back in the day we were very involved with the PS, hubby on committee, we ran our then local monthly PS meetings, and at the large shows I was given a 'Marshall' badge to wear & had to prod the smokers to tell them to stub it out or go outside, being small they looked around before looking down & seeing it was me, but they all obliged.:biggrin:

Was it busy? @plumsmum

No not very @dianaT, lots of little birds and a few small conures in cages but not much really. Felt it was a lot busier when I used to go with a friend. Shame I struggled to come back with one toy for Ruby. Hubby pleased as he still has a fat wallet :risas3: On the whole, not sure I will bother again. Anyone go to the Newark show and what is that like? This was mentioned on one of the stalls. :)

Think that dr is S African? Here is one of her products with onions in the pic on the front https://planetaviary.com/product/micro-nutrients-species/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sarah_Pryke

@DizzyBlue

Last edited:
I shall check with Linda if she has heard of this Dr Pryke! I can just imagine what she’ll be saying about onions in parrot food!

ouch ouch. in rather a lot of pain as walked miles! knee is protesting! had a great time with friend and got pretty much what I went for. 3 pairs of zebra finches, a pair of bourkes and fell in love with a pair of bengalise so they came home too, friend also bought a pair of bourkes plus a suitable cage for them. I also got finch food, cuttlefish, iodine blocks, budgie nest boxes (the little gits eat them) lots of millet. very pleased with my birds and have just finished setting them up in spare room away from anything else.
zebs, I have penguine,black cheek, and a tufted. the bengalise are dark, the bourkes are one pink and yellow, one pink and black

I do miss having the finches in my bird room and I do love the bourke's well it will be taking it easy for you so you can recover but pleased you got what you wanted

Congratulations on the new birds @sunnyring - looks like a nice selection. Those black bengal finches are particularly striking, so I'm not surprised you wanted them so much - are those a common mutation? I think I might want a couple like that when I get round to putting a finch aviary in the garden (which I'm scared to do at the moment, with the owls nesting out there!).

I was intending to get some Bourke's myself in the next couple of weeks, now that we have our spare cage back and have it set up, but the wife didn't seem to like the idea for some reason, so we will probably get something else instead - maybe some lineolated parakeets, which she seems more keen on. I will just have to look at other people's for now! What would you call the mutation of the bird on the right? I know the other one is a normal rosy Bourke's.

i really am very pleased with them. an event like this really is good for finding the type of birds I was after. it is so good to be able to compare the birds from different breeders and get exactly the type wanted.
it was also fascinating seeing so many weird and wonderful birds that would never normally get a chance to see. some of the foreign finches are incredible- such colours, so tiny. and the awesome selection of dove family birds- wow. we walked miles lol. had to see every cage. birds we bought seemed to cope well- when we unpacked them here they had eaten all all the millet I had given them when boxed and all looked bright and fiesty. I found the sellers were considerate of their birds and were asking questions of how they would be cared for, and offering feed for travel cages. they were all handled very gently.
I found the parrot hybrid rather a sad sight, can't really see the point . he looked steady and calm there and I hope has a long happy life but I cannot see an advantage for him being a hybrid, only downsides for him. maybe i am wrong and there are advantages , i hope so. I didn't see any greys, lots of green cheek conures, lots of very big green birds which I presume were some kinds of amazon and lots of larger parakeets some of which were stunning, my favourite being the ones that were bright green with red at the wings.

Back
Top Bottom