Treating Scaly Face Mites?

Ararajuba

I thought our new budgie's feet were just mucky when we got him, but they don't seem to be improving, and I'm noticing signs of scaliness around his beak and cere, which seem to be worsening. He's been looking a bit more fluffed than usual over the last day or two, as well, though he still seems fairly chirpy overall.

From looking up the symptoms he seems to have a case of scaly face mite. I was surprised by just how mucky his face was starting to look when I took a really close look. He has a new cage companion whose feet are clean, but I noticed some signs of what may be the same problem around her cere, so I'm suspicious she may have picked them up too.

It seems the treatment of choice is a liquid avian anti-parasitical containing Ivermectin, applied to the back of the neck. I'm assuming I will need to treat his cage companion too. Anything in particular that I need to be aware of when treating them?

Are our conures likely to be at risk for the same problem? I don't want to treat them with strong chemicals needlessly. They haven't really had much contact with the budgies, and are at present in another room. I'm definitely intending to keep them completely separate till I'm sure this has cleared up.

ivermectrin will fix it, just buy correct dose, it is spread by close physical contact . different cages, different food there will not be an issue. one dose will fix it but it will take a fair while to look better as you have to wait for the scales on legs to moult and cere to grow out. I had a pair of kakariki who came to me near bald with it. one dose of drug and that was it, feathers grew back and all was restored. didn't do any particular special cleaning of cage, just normal stuff and none of my others caught it as were caged seperate. obviously wash your hands after dealing with them and don't share feeders/toys etc . you will need to do both budgies but no need to do birds in different cages
ps personally i put the treatment under wing on the bare spot then hold onto them for a few minutes until its all absorbed.
use the drug about once a year on chickens so figured early on it is wasted on neck as you get most on feathers rather then skin!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom