Rosie's Cage...

Nik

Registered
Hello everyone, some of you maybe already saw my post in "new members introduction", whatsoever here is my Galah Cockatoo's cage in case you are curious. :)View media item 551It has 3 feeders, one for water and two I use for food, treats, veggies & fruits etc.
She's got few toys, demolishing and deconstructing, it's great funn to watch and I hope for her too!
I think she is quite comfortable in there, I've tried to keep it simple and spacious in there, and she does spends quite a time out of it anyway...
There is this toy that she is supposed to figure out how to get the treats out of, she got it quickly, bang it few times, all falls down, then she picks it up and she trash it on the floor! :D

Looks very nice Nik. Love those toys! :thumbsup:

Two very small suggestions for Rosie's benefit is a different perch to replace the long straight one, these are supplied with all cages and one of the first things an experienced owner will swap out LOL. Birds need to exercise their feet, if you can imagine a tree branch is not a uniform size. I purchased a fitted Java branch but you can use cleaned and dried apple tree branches and the other thing is a nail trimming perch https://www.scarlettsparrotessentials.co.uk/perches/nail-trimming-perches there are lots to choose from.

The other thing is birds my RB2 loves to poke about on the floor of his cage and is Rosie is the same them she may not find those bars very comfortable for her feet. This will be a look and learn though :)

Lovely cage. You can see how much Rosie is loved.

I agree with @plumsmum, we have removed all of our long straight perches that comes with the cage. They need a variety of perchrs. I would put at least one nail trimming perch in and different natural wooden ones. Also different sizes for their feet to be exercised.
Too's love being on the floor of their cages so cover the flooring, even with newspaper or chip paper so she is not walking over the bars. This can cause different problems with her feet.

Hiya, I got lots of real tree branches drying in the garage, so that i can work on them, they are too wet for now, but i will do replace that with a natural perch, just can't deal with the wood while is wet, I got them the day before yesterday so yep, that will be sorted, absolutely, thanks! She has 2 of those nails perches both diferent size with the same reasons, not a great pic but they are there. And yep ill keep updating the flat she's got! Thanks:emoji_blush::emoji_blush::emoji_blush:
I'm gonna keep an eye if she goes to the floor, for now i have never seen her ;) ...

Flat ha ha, more like her very open Trump Tower :), lucky girl! You might not see Rosie on the bottom of her cage until she is completely settled, she will prob stay high until then.
Btw keep all perches clean to avoid foot problems.

Reactions: Nik
Rosie looks happy enough Nik, you could try some pieces of cardboard on the base of her cage, RB2's love chewing and cardboard! Best avoid boxes given her past history though for the time being. She has such a huge, fab cage and might as well use it.

I have finally installed the Uv light, i know its in a reptiles sort of grid etc. But the actual bulb is avian one... ;) We had trouble finding something appropriate and I wanted something more safety kind of thing, with a grid all around etc.
I read a lot of articles in here and all around the web and seems everyone uses the uv lights differently, whatsoever i give her 30 min in noon late moorning sort of time! I habe placed it on top in the middle (i hope the pic shows it ;) ) , but the time the light is on the cage is always open! I'm not sure if she can feel it but sometimes she goes on top of the cage under the light and sits there for a bit chilling, as well i did increased the distance between the light and the cage is about 45- 50 cm from the grid to the top of the cage...
1st time dealing with uv lights so if you guys have something you think i should change, let me know!
Regards: Nik & RosieView media item 570

I follow the manufacturers instructions and leave mine on for quite a few hours each day.

I see, i think i may start slowly increasing the time, up to few hours a day! Thanks ;)

Remember a new bulb needs a burn in period. Think I can remember something about 18" away though hope someone will confirm or correct?

Back
Top Bottom