1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Kerin
Last Activity:
Sep 24, 2017 at 10:01 AM

Followers 2

Birthday:
May 27, 1961 (Age: 56)

Kerin

Female, 56

Kerin was last seen:
Sep 24, 2017 at 10:01 AM
    1. Parsley
      Parsley
      Have tried to get a picture of her eyes but no success as they just look dark or blurry but they are def a greeny hazel [ATTACH]19117.IPB[/ATTACH]
      1. Kerin
        Kerin
        Thanks so much for this, it doesn't matter that it's a wee bit blurry, I can see the colour and it's most unusual! It's very striking compared to the normal dark brown or medium to red you see with them. She's a beautiful bird :biggrin:

I don't blame you for feeling your heartstrings being pulled by her, please do stick around, everyone here is really lovely and so helpful. I'm sure with a bit more time and some support you and your husband can find the solution. Is she Very noisy a lot of the time, or is it just that when she is she's so piercing?

Jacqui xx :)
        Apr 10, 2016
      2. Parsley
        Parsley
        My husband works nights and he says when he puts her back in her cage in the morning before going to bed he doesn't hear a peep from her until he gets up but then she shrieks and shrieks. He ignores her until she goes quiet then let's her out.  She has also started to bite fingers quite hard sometimes drawing blood ouch!! But she loves her cuddles and will snuggle up for ages while I scratch her head so don't understand why she will then turn and start biting for no reason
        Apr 10, 2016
      3. Kerin
        Kerin
        They can be feisty little birds, not generally in an aggressive way, they just know their own mind and expect you to as well. She is still quite young really so she can learn easily. Galahs are very smart, and mine at least seemed to enjoy learning new things, even if it was what "No" meant.  

That shriek when he gets up is her calling and greeting him, saying come ON, come ON. He's doing the right thing with the ignoring but it can get to you yes. I don't know how much attention he gives her when he does let her out, but she'll probably respond well to physical fuss and tickles, and even talking to her like a baby, you know the "who's daddies yummy girl then" kind of thing. They love all that cuddly stuff. :)  Maybe he can try to look her in the eye when she's screeching then say NO firmly (but not loud) and deliberately turn his back. Bbird responded well to that.

I've read often that when they bite we must not react, but honestly I found with Baby-bird, and now Chewy (an amazon) That if I don't flinch or pull away but do show I'm aware... usually by saying "no" in a firm but not loud voice, well both seemed to get it and become gentler rapidly. I guess it will always depend on the bird and situation, but I also think if you can distract them, like being jolly and silly when they're a bit bitey that can work too. It sort of wrong-foots them. I don't really know how either breed compares to a grey because I've never had one, but they're all intelligent. I suppose I just treat mine like toddlers, love em to bits when they're good, be firm and ever so slightly disapproving when bad, it seems to have worked so far :wink:
        Apr 10, 2016
    2. Choxs
      Choxs
      hello lovely...
      1. Kerin
        Kerin
        Hello to you too...

I hope you and pops are both well? :)  
        Jan 27, 2016
  • About

Birthday:
    May 27, 1961 (Age: 56)